Service Bulletin – Mōvi Pro Battery Safety
Since product introduction, there have been five confirmed cases of Mōvi Pro battery fires. This Service Bulletin is being issued to inform Mōvi Pro users of safe handling and charging procedures for Mōvi Pro batteries.
The root cause investigation is ongoing. What we know at this time is:
- 11 battery fires have occurred out of a population of tens of thousands of batteries and hundreds of thousands of charge cycles.
- All fires have occurred during the charge phase.
- Freefly does not yet understand the root cause or the required pre-conditions for this issue to occur.
- We do not know if the batteries were damaged or compromised prior to the fires occurring.
- We are working to replicate the failure mode and will update users regularly as we uncover more information.
- Batteries must be charged in a LiPo bag or fire-proof container.
- Freefly will provide up to 5 LiPo bags free of charge for Mōvi Pro customers, please order here.
AS A REMINDER
The Mōvi Pro Manual covers battery safety and warnings (page 9). These are also noted on the battery label. A few specific points to reiterate on charging and use:
- Do not leave the Mōvi Pro batteries and charger unattended during use.
- Store batteries in a vented fire-proof container.
- Stop using or charging the Mōvi Pro Battery Pack immediately if the battery pack becomes or appears damaged, swells, leaks, becomes deformed, gives off an odor, exceeds a temperature of 140ºF (60ºC), or if anything else abnormal occurs. Disconnect the battery and observe in a safe area outside of any building or vehicle for at least 45 minutes.
- Batteries with degraded performance or damage should be discarded immediately per local battery disposal guidelines.
Please contact Technical Support with any questions, by clicking on the Contact Us button below.
Still need help? Get in touch with our support team.Contact Us