Senior Embedded Systems Engineer – Motor Control
Posted Jan 04, 2023
Freefly Systems, the company that redefined camera movement with the introduction of the Mōvi (a compact, lightweight, 3 axis camera stabilizer) is growing. We are on the lookout for a uniquely talented Senior Embedded Systems Engineer who loves Motor Control to get in on the fun.
As a member of the Freefly Team, you’ll join us on our mission to develop the next generation of innovative unmanned aerial vehicles, robotic systems, and consumer electronic devices in a fast paced, multidisciplinary, startup environment.
The ideal candidate is a jack of all trades with a diverse portfolio of built work spanning multiple industries and demonstrates a thorough understanding of complex electromechanical systems. Experience in multiple software packages, entrepreneurship/consulting, aerospace and/or consumer electronics are a plus. Most importantly, you must have a positive “can do” attitude, play well with others, embrace a challenge, and realize that every failure is a critical step toward creating innovative products.
We need your help to answer the following questions:
- Should we consider a 6 phase/dual 3 phase motor from a redundancy / efficiency perspective? Is the ROI there?
- Real time stator temp estimation? Or just add thermistor to motor?
- For mission critical drone drives, how can we be certain a drive / motor / prop has failed?
- What is the right level of testing for a motor drive that is going on a drone?
- How can we automate this more in the future?
- How can we reduce flux angle error?
- How fast can we slew a motor / prop? What is the constraint in the system? Physics or our skill?
- What does the 10 year technology roadmap for drone motor control look like?
- How do we stay leaders?
- How do we make the world's most reliable motor drives?
- Once we make them reliable, how do we make them inexpensively!
- 3 vs 2 current shunts and phase or low side?
- GaN now or in the future? Reliability/Cost of GaN vs good silicon mosfets?
- How much isolation do we need for the gate drive and input?
- Lead product design engineering efforts for motor control, from concept through production. Manage the product lifecycle and identify continuous improvement opportunities.
- Architect PCB models from concept to mass manufacturable part.
- Conduct materials, technology, and process research to develop products that achieve lofty performance requirements
- Perform simulation, testing, and analysis to ensure products that live up to Freefly name
- Multi task across a range of products in varying levels of completion while meeting schedules and hitting milestones.
- Provide cross-functional support to internal and external teams
- Mentor and teach whenever possible
- Strong understanding of microcontroller architecture and programming
- ARM Cortex M3/M4/M7 experience
- Emphasis on real time high bandwidth control system theory, design, and implementation
- Serial digital communication knowledge (UART, I2C, CAN, SPI)
- Hands on experience with measurement and test equipment (oscilloscopes, DAQ’s, etc)
- Circuit design and PCB layout for mixed power/signal applications
- Application/GUI programming
- Experience with version control systems
- Altium experience
- Solidworks or other parametric CAD software
- 5 years of industry experience (preferred)
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written
- Experience working with multidisciplinary groups driving schedule and tasks
- Passion for learning, iterating, and first principles.
- Must posses great ‘feel’. We need to move fast and good hunches save time.
If you’re interested in joining our team, drop us a line at [email protected] and tell us about your exciting projects, what you’re learning… and a few war stories.