Freefly Systems, the company that redefined camera movement with the introduction of the Mōvi (a compact, lightweight, 3 axis camera stabilizer) is forming an elite team within the Engineering department to raise the bar even higher. We are on the lookout for a uniquely talented architecture Engineer to get in on the fun.
As a member of the Drone Program team, you’ll join us on our mission to develop the next generation of innovative unmanned aerial vehicles in a fast paced, multidisciplinary, startup environment.
The ideal candidate is a jack of all trades with a diverse portfolio of built work spanning multiple disciplines and demonstrates a thorough understanding of complex electromechanical systems. Experience in multiple software packages, entrepreneurship/consulting, aerospace and/or consumer electronics are a plus. Most importantly, you must have a positive “can do” attitude, play well with others, embrace a challenge, and realize that every failure is a critical step toward creating innovative products.
- Lead electrical systems design engineering efforts for entire products or subsystems, from concept through production. Manage the product lifecycle and identify continuous improvement opportunities.
- Establish requirements and test plans for integrating required peripherals and IO into a product.
- Create wiring diagrams and plan the high-level architecture of a product containing multiple circuit boards and wiring harnesses
- Design, develop, and test electrical subsystems at both the board and product level.
- Perform simulation, testing, and analysis to ensure products that live up to Freefly name
- Multi task across a range of products in varying levels of completion while meeting schedules and hitting milestones.
- Provide cross-functional support to internal and external teams
- Mentor and teach whenever possible
- 5+ years of experience designing, building, and deploying the electrical architecture for complex electrical systems containing multiple circuit boards and wiring harnesses
- Experience doing schematic and board design in PCB layout software. Preferred to have experience with Altium
- Experience with designing power distribution architectures, ranging from high power (>100A) to low power (uA-level)
- Experience with RF applications, including integration, troubleshooting and testing of radios and GPS receivers
- Knowledgeable of EMI/EMC, including design principles to minimize emissions and improve robustness in high EMI/EMC environments
- Ability to be self-guided in taking a non-functioning electrical system prototype and diagnose the problem, perform design updates, and document solutions and validation tests
- Experience defining wiring harnesses, drawing wiring diagrams, and selecting wire and connectors for both in-product and customer facing wires
- Serial digital communication knowledge (UART, I2C, CAN, SPI)
- High speed communication knowledge (USB, Ethernet, HDMI, MIPI)
- Experience writing, reviewing, and carrying out test plans at both the board level and product level of a complex electrical system
- Hands on experience with measurement and test equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, etc)
- Comfortable taking a product from concept to shipping in the 3-6 month time frame
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written
- Experience working with multidisciplinary groups driving schedule and tasks
- Passion for learning, iterating, and first principles
- Must possess great ‘feel’. We need to move fast and good hunches save time
- Experience developing high-reliability and/or safety-critical electrical systems with fault-tolerant design redundancy
- Experience with radio communications systems such as serial and ethernet modems, wifi, etc.
- ARM Cortex M3/M4/M7 software development or debugging experience
- Knowledge of real-time digital control loop tuning
- Experience diagnosing and/or designing DC-DC converters and 3-phase motor controllers
- Experience with imaging sensors & processing is a plus
- Experience with git or other version control systems
If you’re interested in joining our team, drop us a line at email@example.com and tell us about your exciting projects, what you’re learning… and a few war stories.